We all want great-looking teeth and a beautiful smile, but few of us look forward to installing traditional orthodontic hardware in order to achieve this look. With irritation of soft tissues in the mouth, dietary restrictions, and what seems like a snail’s pace of progress, many are turning to Invisalign to achieve a flawless, beautiful smile.
What Is Invisalign Care?
Invisalign is an innovative solution to straightening your teeth without braces. Clear, smooth and durable plastic inserts are custom-molded to fit your teeth perfectly, moving teeth into place quickly and efficiently. These aligners are designed to be changed out every two weeks; allowing for a new set of aligners that will continue to straighten teeth.
Invisalign brings with it several advantages over traditional braces:
1. They are virtually undetectable by others. You can smile, talk, laugh, and interact with others without showing off a mouth full of metal; you carry on your normal day to day activities knowing that you are straightening and beautifying your smile.
2. They are comfortable. The smooth plastic alignment trays will not irritate soft tissues in the mouth. In contrast, traditional braces can be abrasive and cause issues with chewing and speaking.
3. You can remove Invisalign to eat and drink. Removing trays when eating and drinking, as well as when brushing and flossing, allow you to carry on regular routines without the inconvenience of orthodontic hardware.
Getting Started With Invisalign
At an initial consultation, your dentist will make an impression of your teeth that will be used to create customized trays that can clip onto your teeth. Once created, you will begin your Invisalign treatment, switching out trays every two to three weeks until teeth have shifted sufficiently. You will need to schedule visits with your dentist on a regular basis to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned and adjust as necessary. Treatment can take anywhere from 20 weeks to several months, depending on the amount of shifting that needs to occur. Talk with your dentist about any questions or concerns you have about treatment.
Properly Caring For Your Invisalign
Cleaning your Invisalign is essential if you want to have the best experience with them. Follow your dentist’s recommendations to ensure that you are using and cleaning them properly—follow these steps for proper use:
1. Remove aligners when eating and drinking
It is important to remove aligners when eating and drinking to make sure that food particles don’t get stuck inside the plastic tray. Brush and floss your teeth as you normally would after eating and drinking, and place aligners back in your mouth once more.
2. Clean alignment trays daily
At least once daily, soak your aligners in a specialized cleaning solution. Following instructions for using the solution to avoid damage to the trays or to your teeth. Rinsing your aligners after soaking them is a good idea to remove excess debris and any solution that may be left over. Inspect your trays for signs of damage or cracking, and see your dentist if you see areas that need to be adjusted or repaired.
3. Repeat this protocol with subsequent trays
It is important to keep up with regular oral care routines and proper Invisalign care to ensure that you are getting the most out of your Invisalign experience.
What results can I expect to see?
When wearing your aligners 22 hours a day, you can expect to see dramatic straightening results that will give you renewed self-confidence. Invisalign will improve your oral health and restore a bright and beautiful smile to you once more. If you want a renewed lease on your smile, give your dentist a call today and explore what Invisalign can do for you; you’ll be glad you did!